Position: Teachers Aide & Assistant Teacher
Program: Head Start / Early Head Start
Personal Development: Training opportunities and AA Degree reimbursement program
Hours/Week: 20-40 Weekly
Starting Rate: $16.35-$17.32 (Depending on position & years of experience)
Alameda Family Services
Alameda Family Services is a non-profit agency providing comprehensive services to youth, families and children in the City of Alameda.
Alameda Head Start/Early Head Start
Alameda Head Start/Early Head Start is a federally funded program that provides comprehensive services to qualifying pregnant women and families with children birth to 5 years of age. Child development, health and family support services are provided through a variety of program options designed to meet the individual needs of low-income and at-risk children and families.
Under the supervision of the Center Director and/or acting Site Supervisor, the Teachers Aides and Assistant Teachers will work as a member of the teaching team responsible for operating a quality Head Start/Early Head Start cle=assroom and early childhood development program.
- Support staff in maintaining a safe environment in compliance with federal, state and local health and safety regulations, including a daily safety check of indoor and outdoor areas utilized by children, parents and staff members.
- Provide coverage and support in maintaining the required adult-child ratio as mandated in the Community Care Licensing and Head Start Program Performance Standards.
- Provide care to children in need of additional support including but not limited to providing individualized care, managing challenging behaviors, toileting, diapering, nap coverage and administration of first aide as appropriate to training.
- Support and assist in maintaining a safe classroom and outdoor play area in compliance with Head Start, federal, state and local health and safety regulations.
- Assist with meal service, including preparation, classroom delivery and clean-up.
- Utilize active supervision strategies to ensure that no child in our care is left unsupervised.
- Assist teachers with completing required paperwork including lesson plans, meal counts, attendance logs, screenings and ongoing assessments.
- Work with, contribute to, and serve as a member of a multi-disciplinary team by encouraging and facilitating problem solving strategies; accepting supervision, and working closely with direct service staff, program management, agency administration, community partners, coaches & consultants to ensure high-quality services and implementation of best practices.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with emergency health and safety policies, procedures and protocols (including but not limited to COVID-19 response services).
Knowledge, Skill, and Experience
- Must have strong interest in working with young children and children with disabilities.
- Minimum of 3-6 Early Childhood Education units preferred.
- English language proficiency is not required; bi/multilingual preferred.
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team in a culturally diverse environment
- Positive, professional and courteous work demeanor
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Alameda Family Services does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If interested, please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org