Position: Human Resources Director
Supervisor: Executive Director
Schedule: 40 Hours Weekly
Starting Rate: DOE
ALAMEDA FAMILY SERVICES
Alameda Family Services (AFS) is a progressive, non-profit agency that provides clinically sophisticated, comprehensive mental health and early childhood educational and family support services to individuals and families in the City and County of Alameda. Programs include Early Head Start, Head Start, Family Support Services, School Based Services, and Behavioral Health Care Services (Counseling and an APA-accredited Narrative Therapy Training Program). One of Alameda Family Services’ core values is fostering wellbeing. This focus on wellbeing provides a philosophical orientation for our work and guides our daily practice. As an agency that is deeply rooted in Alameda, we are constantly striving to achieve the best possible outcomes for our clients, families, and community. We cultivate self-care, professional growth, and a family-like work environment.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director (ED), the Human Resources Director is responsible for the delivery of exceptional human resource services to 100+ employees. This position oversees areas including recruitment, benefits administration, employee relations, and leave management along with compliance with applicable laws. The HR Director will also serve as a strategic partner to the ED and AFS management in furthering a staff-oriented organizational culture and guiding AFS' long term people strategy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Onboarding new employees, ensuring that they have a smooth and welcoming transition into AFS. Assisting hiring managers as needed with department-specific orientation tasks.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, developing and implementing AFS culture startegy. Creating and leading staff morale programs with guidance from the Executive Director and leadership team.
- Ensuring that employee information in ADP is accurate for easy payroll processing by Fiacal Staff Accountant. Providing payroll backup as necessary.
- Working wiht the AFS broker on annual benefits renewal and open enrollment. Evaluating benefits (e.g., medical and dental plans) annually and ensuring that emploees have information necessary to make well-informed decisions.
- Assisting staff with leaves of absence (e.g., PDL, PFL, FMLA/CFRA), and overseeeing workers compensation, unemployment and disability claims.
- Ensuring AFS wage and labor law compliance. Working annually with the Fiscal Financial Analyst to review and update AFS wage scale. Providing input on the wage scale by conducting periodic pay serveys and job evaluations.
- Generating reports to support payroll and benefits (e.g., ACA Reporting, EEO, California Pay Data, Census reports, etc.).
- Leading agency-wide recruiting for all open positions, including reviewing and updating the hiring process as necessary, working wiht managers on job descriptions, posting and managing ads, reviewing resumes, conducting interviews, reference checks, and background checks as necessary, attending job fairs, and establishing strong relationships with local colleges ansd universities.
- Maintaning employee files as well as any required training and licensing documentation.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, overseeing the annual performance evaluation process, tracking the timely completion of performance and compensation reviews, and assisting managers as needed with writing and editing review documents . Coaching managers on delivering performance feedback, developing performance plans, and addressing interpersonal issues.
- Responsible for scheduling all agency harassment training and tracking completions.
- Managing all COVID-related procedures including tracking staff vaccination and booster status.
- Participating in bi-weekly HR/Fiscal meeting, bi-monthly HR forums, and DEIJ meetings. Contributing to and/or leading the HR portion of internal updates, staff and department meetings, and other internal communications as directed by the executive Director.
- Revising/creating handbooks, policies and prcedures as required to accurately mirrior current business practices, accreditation standards and governing law/regulations.
- Attending HR educational training and seminars, reviewing relevant professional publications/materials, establishing HR professional networks, and using industry memberships (e.g., SHRM and Cal Chamber) to remain current in HR matters.
- Assisting with annual fiscal reviews.
- Supervising the Facilities Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Ditrector.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required,
- 5 years of human resources generalist experience with 3+ years of management experience.
- Experience in non-profits of 50-100 employees strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of ADP Workforce Now or simular software required.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to listen and engage with all staff. Experience counseling employees, addressing performance issues, and assisting with ending employment, and other staffing changes.
- Experience and ability to work well with a diverse population, colleagues, and outside agencies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare detailed written reports.
- Solid understanding of local, state and federal laws including FLSA, FMLA, CFRA, PFL, COBRA, EEO, ADA, minimum hourly wage increases, etc.
- Demonstrates ability to thrive in a rapidly changing, multi-cultural environment.
- Skilled at multitasking, coordinating, organizing, prioritizing, and executing responsibilities in the face of conflicting priorities and unexpected situations.
- Strong technical skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Google Docs, and candidate research.
- Outgoing and upbeat personality, strong work ethics, and genuine desire to help colleagues.
- High level of discretion and ability to hold confidentiality in both internal and external matters.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Successful completion,of a background check and clearance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) background prior to employment is required.
- Current TB Test results are required prior to employment.
- Alameda Family Services falls under the current California Department of Public Health and State Public Health Officer Orders requiring all workers to (1) have received their full dosage/s of an approved vaccine against COVID-19 including booster and provide documentation of such, or (2) If exempt per a valid exemption as permitted by the order, complete an exemption accommodation request form.
Alameda Family Services offers a very generous benefits program for including:
- Medical and Dental Benefits for employee and $200 monthly stipend provided to employees to assist with the cost of dependent coverage (for both medical and dental dependants coverage).
- Flexible Spending Account.
- Group Term Life Coverage.
- 11 paid holidays per year (based upon a 40 hour work week).
- 5 weeks paid vacation/year
- 12 days paid sick time/year.
- 401k with 3% match.
- Monthly cell phone stipend.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Alameda Family Services is an equal oppertunity employer. we are comminted to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace where every staff member feels heard, supported, and valued. we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Please submit your resume and cover letter for consideration to HR@alamedafs.org
Resumes without a cover letter will not be reviewed.